Pearl Island Restoration Project

1863 -2013

The Mill Race was built in 1863. Now in the residents of Brodhead and the surrounding area have the opportunity to make a vast number of improvements for hiking, biking, canoeing, tubing and fishing.

In November of 2012, Brodhead received a matching grant of about $350,000. That means we have to earn the money through the use of equipment, volunteer labor, donations or other matching grants. This is not a city project. This is a community project.

What are some of our plans?

*      Hiking, biking trail from Brodhead along the Mill race to Golf Course Road then connected to the Sugar River Trail and back to Brodhead.

*      A covered bridge across the Mill Race at Putnam Park

*      Fishing cribs to improve fishing

*      Restroom at the boat landing by the head gates

*      Nature trails between the Mill Race and Sugar River

*      Benches, picnic areas

*      Improved canoeing and tubing

*      Repairing shoreline

*      More piers

What have we accomplished so far?

  • Cleaning and clearing out the Mill Race (It is now safe to canoe and tube on)
  • 3 new piers
  • 3 information boards
  • Some clearing along the Mill Race

What can you do?

  • Volunteer to help on projects
  • Donate use of equipment
  • Financial donations
  • Material donations

To volunteer or donate equipment contact: Jeff Peterson 897-2505, Rich Vogel 608/931-3512

To learn more or make a donation contact:  Amber Foster 608/897-8607